3rd Annual Black History Month Conference 2022
Call for Proposal
Submission Deadline: July 15, 2021
TRANSFORMATION TRAINING INSTITUTE, INC. welcomes applications from presenters that highlight promising practices, relevant research, and/or training addressing multicultural understanding and sensitivity with the population of African- Americans. Lead presenters must have:
- A master’s degree (or higher) in counseling*
- Expertise in applicable mental health and/or substance abuse experience through research, training, and/or practice.
- Hold a professional License in the field of Counseling & Mental Health
*TRANSFORMATION TRAINING INSTITUTE, INC. will not consider applications from presenters who do not meet this requirement above for lead presenter.
*Co-presenters can include students in counseling or another mental health field.
Conference Overall Theme:
“Healing the Mind, Body and Soul of African-American…A Wholistic Approach in Moving from Surviving to Thriving”
- Participants will learn about the state of counseling and mental health and it’s benefits as well as disadvantage or barriers to the African-American population to include clinicians of color and its role in moving from surviving to thriving with the Wholistic Approach.
- Participants will learn about initiatives in practice, training, and research that contribute to increased counseling and mental health knowledge, service provision, and professionalism for clinicians of color.
- Participants will gain familiarity with the understanding of ethnicity, race, diversity and culture with the different social challenges and how it affects mental health in various populations with emphasis on the African-American population.
Proposal and Policy Guidelines:
Proposals to present must contain and convey sufficient detail to allow TRANSFORMATION TRAINING INSTITUTE, INC. to understand how the proposed presentation will contribute to the conference’s objectives. Selection is competitive, so you must submit a compelling and complete proposal.
- Persons presenting at the conference are expected to use material and language that does not discriminate on the basis of gender, race, color, ethnicity, religion, physical ability, and/or sexual orientation while placing emphasis on the African-American population and clinicians of color.
- If your proposal is selected, TRANSFORMATION TRAINING INSTITUTE, INC. reserves the right, with your consent, to revise presentation titles and/or edit the program summary for promotional and program materials. Please note the word/character limit as described in the application.
- If your proposal is accepted and you accept the invitation to present, you and your co-presenter(s), if applicable, will receive complimentary registration to the conference as well as honorarium pay as appreciation for lending your knowledge and expertise to the conference’s success.
- Upon acceptance of the invitation to present, all presenters and co-presenters will be required to attend an assigned rehearsal session for the purposes of becoming familiar with the conference virtual platform, between February 5 – 7, 2022.
- The entire conference will be facilitated in English and American Sign Language through volunteer participants, which uses videoconferencing equipment to communicate with our participants with whom there is an audio communication barrier.
- Date of Presentation: Friday, February 25, 2022 (1.0 and 1.5 hours presentations.) Conference Time: 9:30 am- 5:30 pm EST (time slots TBA). Honorarium for Presentation: $150.00 1 hour / $200.00 1.5 hours(if more than one presenter fee is divided by primary presenter) Donation of your time & talent is also an option.
- All proposals will include the following. Word limits are identified within the application and will be strictly adhered to.
- Presentation Title
- Presentation Description and Content
- Three Objectives
- Biography (for all proposed presenters)
- Professional Profile picture (upon request if selected)
- TRANSFORMATION TRAINING INSTITUTE, INC. follows the style guide set forth by NBCC and Affiliates, and any edits necessary to conform with these requirements will be made. The presentation description and content, objectives, and title may be edited based on the style guide.
- TRANSFORMATION TRAINING INSTITUTE, INC. reserves the right to cancel a presentation based on noncompliance at any point. This includes, but is not limited to, failure to register for the conference by the due date, failure to return required documents by the due date (e.g., agreement, presentation materials, biographies), failure to make presenter changes by the due date, or failure to attend the required rehearsal session for the conference.
Call for Presenter Proposal Evaluation:
Proposals are evaluated objectively with consideration of the following criteria:
- Degree to which the proposed presentation meets the conference objectives
- Presenter’s presentation skills and experience
- Desirability of the topic
- Clarity of learning objectives
- Overall clarity of proposal
Proposal Topics Suggestions (but not limited to): Population to consider below:
*Please be creative with your titles to attract attendee’s attention
- The Wholistic Approach Defined
- Counseling African-Americans in the Military
- Cultural considerations for Grief
- Clinician of Color barriers in the mental health profession (moving pass the barrier)
- Play Therapy
- June 1 – July 15, 2021: Application period open.
- July 15 – August 15, 2021: Proposals reviewed.
- August 16, 2021: Presenters notified if proposal has been accepted.